My journey with www.weneedgirlfriends.tv has come to a closure. It’s time to crossover and as they say in Italian attraversiamo…….
Photography by David Lawn
I created and founded this site exactly 2 years ago on August 1, 2010. In the 2 years I have taken 3 trips across America from right coast to left coast. I have lived in places that people go and vacation in. Places like Sausalito, CA, Chicago, Illinois, Asheville, NC, Charleston, SC, Folly Beach, SC and currently in Carolina Beach, NC. It has come time for my crossover. I pondered on the word crossover and its meaning and this story of the Buddha and the raft was given to me by my daughter Amanda.
The Parable of the Raft is probably one of the most famous parables taught by the Buddha. He compared his own teachings to a raft that could be used to cross the river, but should be discarded when one made it safely to the other shore.
A man is trapped on one side of a fast-flowing river. Where he stands, there is great danger and uncertainty – but on the far side of the river, there is safety. But there is no bridge or ferry for crossing. So the man gathers logs, leaves, twigs, and vines and is able to fashion a raft, sturdy enough to carry him to the other shore. By lying on the raft and using his arms to paddle, he crosses the river to safety.
The Buddha then asks the listeners a question: “What would you think if the man, having crossed over the river, then said to himself, ‘Oh, this raft has served me so well, I should strap it on to my back and carry it over land now?’” The Monk replied that it would not be very sensible to cling to the raft in such a way.
The Buddha continues: “What if he lay the raft down gratefully, thinking that this raft has served him well, but is no longer of use and can thus be laid down upon the shore?”
The monks replied that this would be the proper attitude.
The Buddha concluded by saying, “So it is with my teachings, which are like a raft, and are for crossing over with — not for seizing hold of.”
So at that I crossover to another part of my life – no need to cling to the things you love but to let them free in order for them to take on a new life for themselves.
I have followed different personal development blogs over the years and have grown and learned from so many of them. It’s all been said, in one blog or another. The advice offered is splendid but how many of us truly want to create change? How many truly want to get out of their comfort zones? Each one offers different perspectives, different solutions to issues, different ways on how to “get happy.”
So now I will include my list of perspectives on life and what I’ve learned through my amazing journey with MakeGirlfriends.
My list of transformation and growth
1. Live Simply – if that means put everything in storage and move every 4-6 months – go for it – it’s not all about the destination but the journey that makes us who we are. Ghandi stated, “Live simply so others can simply live.”
2. Live in the Present Moment – for this is truly what we have is the “moment”. We may have illusions of time but it’s all about the moment, I have a very good friend that would remind me, where are your shoes right now – I would say right here – that is where the moment lies.
3. No Judgment – stop judging others and it will be easier to stop judging yourself.
4. Forgive and Let Go – forgiveness is an act of self love and to truly forgive allows us to let go.
5. No Obligations – meaning do things out of LOVE and not GUILT.
6. LOVE – really and truly LOVE – for LOVE is the basis of everything beautiful and we are LOVE at our core! See through a child’s eyes. Be thrilled and excited about life. Find miracles everywhere. We are all capable of grand LOVE. Open your heart to LOVE!
7. NO FEAR – There are 2 human emotions FEAR or LOVE – you choose! When you operate from fear there is no love and when you operate from love there is no fear.
8. You are the Author of your life – Live out your life as if you are writing your life story.
9. Too much FUN is never enough! – no need to explain this one so give yourself permission to have FUN.
10. Stop and smell the flowers always – not when there is time but always; make yourself STOP!
11. Be TRUE to yourself – live in that authentic truth to yourself and you will never have to remember the lies to keep a story straight.
12. Live by the Four Agreements – 1) Impeccable Word, 2) Don’t take anything personally, 3) Never make assumptions, 4) Always do your best.
13. Live, Laugh and Dance as if today was your last day on earth.
14. Buy the SHOES!
15. Courage – never be afraid to tell the truth for it takes courage to speak in the truth and can change a life.
Brené Brown, Ph.D. writes, “Courage originally meant ‘To speak one’s mind by telling all one’s heart.’ Over time, this definition has changed, and today, courage is more synonymous with being heroic. Heroics is important and we certainly need heroes, but I think we’ve lost touch with the idea that speaking honestly and openly about who we are, about what we’re feeling, and about our experiences (good and bad) is the definition of courage.”
16. Take care of your body – You only have one body and it’s your temple; look good and feel good for yourself first. Exercise and eating healthy is key.
17. I AM Statements – the power of the word from the beginning of time. I AM THAT I AM!
18. Gratitude – live in an attitude of gratitude – the more we are grateful for the more will come into our lives that we can be grateful of. Know that I am grateful for all of you that have followed me and have taken the time to comment on my blog posts.
19. Being Happy is a CHOICE – you choose!
20. Peace, Harmony, Happiness and LOVE to each one of you – living in love and light.
In case anyone is asking why are you letting MakeGirlfriends.com go? I have been thinking of letting go for a many months now and here are some of the reasons:
1. When I realized that habit was taking over my passion for writing posts that’s a true sign to observe and do something different. Habit makes you continue to do things over and over and expecting different results – wait, isn’t that the definition of Insanity?
2. I spent so much time, energy and money on this website and I started to cling to that fact instead and I continued to post blogs due to that fact.
3. Letting Go = Failure (EGO talking) – In reality – LETTING GO = FREEDOM
4. Trusting that when you say “no” to what doesn’t serve you, life says “yes” to your greatness.
I read recently a quote from Abraham: There are no choices that are really a detour that will take you far from where you’re wanting to be because your Inner Being is always guiding you to the next, and the next, and the next. So don’t be concerned that you may make a fatal choice because there aren’t any of those. You are always finding your balance. It’s a never ending process.
I have made incredible relationships through the blogging community, I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Corinne Edwards, Kelly Rudolph, Maureen Simon and Nicole Rushin. I have not met Galen Pearl, Alex Blackwell, David Stephens, Martin and Pam Clooney, Irving from Hans of Harmony and Debbie Bills. All of these people work very hard on their blogs and I celebrate their work.
So now I take all the time I’ve spent on blogging and writing for my blog and will dedicate that time to writing my book that has been in progress for about 2 years now. I am in the creative collaboration stage so I am a little reluctant to give you the title. I ask that you stay in touch for I would love to hear about your lives. I will continue to follow your blog posts but won’t feel the pressure of having to respond, picking and choosing what I would like to read. Living in line with my truth. I will now have more time with face to face and eye to eye interaction with people I meet.
So now I introduce you to the first person that came to my “heart” Nathalie Villeneuve. She started the group on facebook named “The Women of Facebook” and she will continue this beautiful space of love and passion with MakeGirlfriends.com. Nathalie will not be changing the name of the site.
I will have the pleasure of introducing Nathalie next week to you all. My final day will be August 1, 2012.
Peace, Harmony, Happiness, Love to all of you and……as always, I sign